Leader: Teemu Roos
The Information, Complexity and Learning (ICL) research group is a part of the Cosco research group and studies the theory and applications of probabilistic models, especially graphical models. A particular area of interest is information theoretic methods. Application domains where we have continued collaboration include human–computer interaction, digital humanities, and bioinformatics.
News and Events (see also Cosco News on the right)
- 10/2016: Joonas Miettinen joins the group as a PhD student supervised by Teemu Roos and Janne Pitkäniemi (Finnish Cancer Registry). Welcome Joonas!
- Former ICL postdoc Sotiris Tasoulis is a co-chair of the 2nd Workshop on Advances in High Dimensional Big Data on December 5-8, 2016.
- Teemu Roos gives talks at the University of Melbourne (details) on October 6, 2016 and Monash University on October 12, 2016.
- "Minimum Description Length Principle" by Teemu Roos appears in the Encyclopedia of Machine Learning and Data Mining.
- We are organizing the 9th Workshop on Information Theoretic Methods in Science and Engineering (WITMSE-2016) in Helsinki on September 19-21, 2016.
- May 27th 2016: Jussi Määttä will defend his PhD thesis "Model selection methods for linear regression and phylogenetic reconstruction" (2pm, Exactum B123).
- May 17th 2016: Teemu Roos gives a talk on "Directed acyclic graphs as a model for biological and cultural evolution" at Purdue University, USA.
- April 24th 2016: Teemu Roos gives a talk on "Machine learning and the evolution of fairy tales" in the Informatics Colloquium at the Martin Luther University, Halle, Germany.
- Beenish Qaiser begins PhD studies at FIMM co-supervised by Teemu Roos. Welcome Beenish!
- Summer 2016 internship to Elias Jääsaari. Welcome Elias!
- Papers accepted to PLOS ONE, IEEE Transactions on Big Data, and EuroVis 2016 conference.
- Ville Hyvönen joins the group as a PhD student under the Scalable Probabilistic Analysis project. Welcome Ville!
- The paper "Sparse Logistic Regression with Logical Features" by Yuan Zou and Teemu Roos was accepted in Proc. 20th Pacific Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD-2016)
- "Robust Sequential Prediction in Linear Regression with Student’s t-distribution" by J. Määttä and T. Roos was accepted to the 14th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics (ISAIM 2016).
- "Inferring intra-motif dependencies of DNA binding sites from ChIP-seq data" by Eggeling, Roos, Myllymäki, and Grosse accepted to BMC Bioinformatics.
- The paper "On Model Selection, Bayesian Networks, and the Fisher Information Integral" by Yuan Zou and Teemu Roos was accepted in Proc. 2nd Workshop on Advanced Methodologies for Bayesian Networks (AMBN-2015).
- ICL group well represented at COIN highlight event: 2nd prize in video contest to Teemu Pitkänen and Ville Hyvönen (watch), other videos by Yuan Zou (watch) and Janne Leppä-aho (watch), and a poster by Jussi Määttä.
- Janne Leppä-aho to visit the Statistics Dept at UC Berkeley in October-December 2015.
- The paper "Subset Selection in Linear Regression using Sequentially Normalized Least Squares: Asymptotic Theory" by Jussi Määttä, Daniel F. Schmidt, and Teemu Roos was accepted to Scandinavian Journal of Statistics.
- Nicos Pavlidis and David Hofmeyer from Lancaster University and Spiros Georgakopoulos from the University of Thessaly visit our group in June 2015.
- Teemu Roos gives a talk in the Statistics and Operations Research Center (STOR-i) seminar at Lancaster University on May 21, 2015. Event info.
- Quan (Eric) Nguyen visits the Computational Biology Laboratory at University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK on April 20–30, 2015.
- Teemu Roos was an instructor at a COST Training School on "Tools and Techniques for Dealing with Complicated Textual Traditions" in Rome, 23–25 March, 2015.
- Teemu Roos will present talks at the 2015 Science Forum (Tieteen päivät) on Jan 10, 2015 – Session "Sattuman matematiikka" ("Mathematics of Chance"); E-Philology Lecture Series at Sorbonne University on Jan 12, 2015; and at the 2015 Information Theory and Applications workshop (ITA-2015) in San Diego on Feb 5, 2015.
- Janne Leppä-aho was one of two applicants, out of more than 130, who were awarded a four-year PhD scholarship by the DoCS graduate school. Congratulations to Janne!
- Teemu Roos gives a talk at a Royal Society meeting on "Evolutionary Analysis beyond the Gene" in Chicheley, UK, on Dec 17-18, 2014.
- Ms Xiao (Grace) Yang from Prof Andrew Barron's group at Yale University visits us from October 20–November 23, 2014.
- The paper “Random Projection Based Clustering for Population Genomics” by Sotiris Tasoulis, Lu Cheng, Niko Välimäki, Nicholas Croucher, Simon Harris, William Hanage, Teemu Roos, and Jukka Corander was accepted to IEEE Big Data 2014.
- October 2014: Pedram Daee starts as a PhD student with a joint affiliation with our group and that of Prof Sami Kaski.
- The paper "A Fixed-Point Image Denoising Algorithm with Automatic Window Selection" by Määttä, Siltanen, and Roos was accepted to EUVIP 2014.
- Our Mobisys'14 work covered on the CS department web page and a blog by Scientific American.
- Dr Nicos Pavlidis from Lancaster University visits us on May 26–June 13, 2014.
- ICL summer 2014 internships have been announced. Congrats and welcome to Janne Leppä-aho, Yang Zhao, and Santeri Räisänen!
- Teemu Roos will be a co-chair of the 7th WITMSE workshop on July 5-7 in Hawaii, USA.
- 11th Conference of the European Society for Textual Scholarship (ESTS) will be held in Helsinki on Oct 30–Nov 1, 2014. Paper submission deadline May 14: CFP (pdf)
- Our MobiSys'14 paper is among the 25 accepted among 185 submissions – that's 13.5%!
- The paper "Bayesian properties of normalized maximum likelihood and its fast computation" by Barron, Roos, and Watanabe was accepted to ISIT-2014.
- Our research on stemmatology reported in the Yliopisto magazine (University of Helsinki science magazine): "Tästä alkoi järjestys"
- Jan 29, 2014: Teemu Roos gives a talk on "Complexity in Statistical Inference" in the Mathematics and Statistics Colloquium (Univ Helsinki).
- The paper "Robust learning of inhomogeneous parsimonious Markov models" by Eggeling, Roos, Myllymäki, and Grosse was accepted to AISTATS-2014.
- Prof Andrew Barron from Yale will visit us in September 2013.
- Prof Kazuho Watanabe from the Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan, will visit us in September 2013. Welcome Kazuho!
- Dr Sotiris Tasoulis from University of Central Greece will start as a post-doc in September 2013.
- Teemu Roos and Petri Myllymäki will be co-chairs of WITMSE-2013 in Tokyo, Japan, August 26–29, 2013.
- Dr Jamie Tehrani from Durham University, England, visits us and gives a talk on the use of phylogenetic ideas in anthropology on June 14, 2013.
- Mr Jussi Määttä starts as a PhD student in June 2013.
- Associated with our recent CHI-2013 paper, we are lauching a web server for computing the information capacity from your own motion capture data: infocapacity.hiit.fi. Please ask for a beta testing account.
- PhD student Ralf Eggeling from the University of Halle-Wittenberg will visit us on April 29--June 30, 2013.
- A paper by Oulasvirta, Roos, Modig, and Leppänen ("Information capacity of full-body movements") gets a Best Paper Honarable Mention Award at CHI-2013.
Jorma Rissanen, DSc
Past members & alumni
Jussi Määttä (PhD 2016) >> Solita
Recent Papers and Preprints
V. Hyvönen, T. Pitkänen, S. Tasoulis, E. Jääsaari, R. Tuomainen, L. Wang, J. Corander, and T. Roos. Fast nearest neighbor search through sparse random projections and voting, to appear in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE Big-Data 2016), Washington DC, Dec. 5–8. C++ library (with Python bindings) | benchmarks
Y. Zou and T. Roos (2017). On model selection, Bayesian networks, and the Fisher information integral, to appear in New Generation Computing, 35(1) (Special Issue on AMBN 2015), January 2017.
T. Heikkilä and T. Roos, (2016). Thematic Section on Studia Stemmatologica, Digital Scholarship in the Humanities 31(3):520–522, doi:10.1093/llc/fqw038.
J. Leppä-aho, J. Pensar, T. Roos, and J. Corander (2016). Learning Gaussian graphical models with fractional marginal pseudo-likelihood, arXiv:1602.07863
L. Wang, S. Tasoulis, T. Roos, and J. Kangasharju (2016). Kvasir: Scalable provision of semantically relevant web content on big data framework, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Big Data.
Y. Zhao, S. Tasoulis, and T. Roos (2016). Manifold visualization via short walks, to appear in EuroVis-2016.
J. Määttä and T. Roos (2016). Maximum parsimony and the skewness test: A simulation study of the limits of applicability, PLOS ONE 11(4):e0152656.
J. Määttä and T. Roos (2016). Robust Sequential Prediction in Linear Regression with Student’s t-distribution, in Proc. 14th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics (ISAIM 2016).
R. Eggeling, T. Roos, P. Myllymäki, and I. Grosse (2015). Inferring intra-motif dependencies of DNA binding sites from ChIP-seq data, BMC Bioinformatics.
Y. Zou and T. Roos (2015). On model selection, Bayesian networks, and the Fisher information integral, in Proc. 2nd Workshop on Advanced Methodologies for Bayesian Networks (AMBN-2015).
J. Määttä, D. F. Schmidt, and T. Roos, (2015). Subset Selection in Linear Regression using Sequentially Normalized Least Squares: Asymptotic Theory, Scandinavian Journal of Statistics.
J. Tehrani, Q. Nguyen, and T. Roos, (2015). Oral fairy tale or literary fake? Investigating the origins of Little Red Riding Hood using phylogenetic network analysis, Digital Scholarship in the Humanities.
Q. Nguyen and T. Roos, (2015). Likelihood-based inference of phylogenetic networks from sequence data by PhyloDAG, in Proc. 2nd International Conference on Algorithms for Computational Biology (AlCoB-2015).
K. Watanabe abd T. Roos, (2015). Achievability of asymptotic minimax regret by horizon-dependent and horizon-independent strategies, JMLR.
J. Määttä, S. Siltanen, and T. Roos, (2014). A Fixed-Point Image Denoising Algorithm with Automatic Window Selection, in Proc. 5th European Workshop on Visual Information Processing (EUVIP 2014).
S. Tasoulis, L. Cheng, N. Välimäki, N. Croucher, S. Harris, W. Hanage, T. Roos, and J. Corander, (2014). Random projection based clustering for population genomics, in IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData-2014).
A. Barron, T. Roos, and K. Watanabe, (2014). Bayesian properties of normalized maximum likelihood and its fast computation, in IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT-2014).
M. Sherman, G. Clark, Y. Yang, S. Sugrim, A. Modig, J. Lindqvist, A. Oulasvirta, and T. Roos, (2014). User-generated free-form gestures for authentication: security and memorability, in MobiSys-2014.
T. Andrews, S. Linkola, T. Roos, and J. van Zundert, (2014). "Connecting the 'webs': Building interoperability into online services for stemmatology," abstract in DHBenelux 2014, 12–13 June 2014, The Hague, Netherlands.
K. Watanabe, T. Roos, and P. Myllymäki, (2013). Achievability of asymptotic minimax regret in online and batch prediction, in Proc. 5th Asian Conference on Machine Learning (ACML-2013), JMLR W&CP 29, pp. 181–196.
A. Oulasvirta, T. Roos, A. Modig, and L. Leppänen, (2013). Information capacity of full-body movements, in Proc. 2013 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI-2013), ACM. Best paper honorable mention award.
T. Roos and Y. Zou, (2013). Keep it simple stupid—On the effect of lower-order terms in BIC-like criteria, invited paper in Proc. 2013 Information Theory and Applications Workshop, (ITA-2013).
Last updated on 18 Nov 2016 by Teemu Roos - Page created on 6 Sep 2012 by Petri Myllymäki