Data Science is an interdisciplinary field focusing on methodologies for extracting knowledge and insights from data thus contributing to different areas of science. The Focus Area builds on the pioneering scientific results of the community and paves way for new breakthrough results across disciplines.The overarching goal of the Focus Area is to leverage the synergies of the network in solving significant societal and industrial challenges related to data analysis.
The Focus Area acts as a hub for Data Science in Helsinki through the Helsinki Centre for Data Science (HiDATA).
- Core methodology: Develop new data science methodology, algorithms and platform technology
- Collaboration: Increase collaboration between data science, application disciplines and industry
- Infrastructures: Ensure improved use and development of the computational infrastructures
- Open science: Advance open science
- Education: Collaborate in master and doctoral programmes
Please visit our events page for up to date information regarding activities and events planned for HiDATA.
Data Science members are including but not limited to the following:
- Nokia Chair in Data Science (Pan Hui)
- Data-Intensive Computing in Natural Sciences (Jukka. K. Nurminen)
- Parallel and Distributed Data Science (Keijo Heljanko)
- Spatiotemporal Data Analysis for Sustainability Science (Laura Ruotsalainen)
- Computer Science and Atmospheric Sciences. (Kai Puolamäki)
- Data Science – Machine Learning and AI (Dorota Glowacka, Antti Honkela)
- Data Science – Knowledge discovery in big data (Simon Puglisi)
- Data Science and Distributed Systems (Sasu Tarkoma)
- Privacy-aware and secure data science (Nikolaj Tatti)