Annual Report 2021: HIIT Board
The highest decision-making body of HIIT is the Board. It decides on HIIT’s overall research strategy and research programmes. The statutory tasks of the Board are to approve the annual budget and activity plans, and follow up and comment on the work of HIIT through regular activity updates given by the Director of HIIT. In 2021 the Board convened four times.
The HIIT Board consists of eight members, each with a personal deputy. Both parent universities appoint two academic members. In addition, they appoint together three members who are not employed by either university. One member is elected by HIIT personnel. In 2021, the Board consisted of the following members (personal deputies in parentheses):
- Chairman: Dean, Professor Jouko Lampinen, Aalto (Professor Esko Kauppinen, Aalto)
- Vice chairman: Dean, Professor Kai Nordlund, UH (Professor Hannu Toivonen, UH)
- Professor Lauri Savioja, Aalto (Professor Antti Ylä-Jääski, Aalto)
- Professor Sasu Tarkoma, UH (Professor Valtteri Niemi, UH)
- Pekka Ala-Pietilä (Kari-Pekka Estola)
- Executive Director Riikka Heikinheimo, Confederation of Finnish Industries (Chief Policy Adviser Mika Tuuliainen, Confederation of Finnish Industries)
- Director Mervi Karikorpi, Technology Industries of Finland (Director Ville Peltola, Technology Industries of Finland)
- Personnel representative: Docent Antti Honkela, UH (Postdoctoral Researcher Matti Nelimarkka, Aalto)
The Director of HIIT, Professor Petri Myllymäki, is responsible for preparing and submitting propositions to the Board.
The Secretary of the Board in 2021 was HIIT’s Vice-Director Patrik Floréen.
Pictured: Jouko Lampinen, Kai Nordlund, Lauri Savioja, Sasu Tarkoma, Pekka Ala-Pietilä, Riika Heikinheimo, Mervi Karikorpi, Antti Honkela