Open Calls to Support the Helsinki ICT Community
HIIT supports initiatives to enhance the quality, visibility and impact of research on information technology. These calls are not restricted to the members of the HIIT research programmes, but are open for the whole ICT community. Please apply through this open call if your request matches any of the listed categories. For example, if you would benefit from a head start in a new project while waiting for longer term funding to begin, you can apply for seed funding for the new initiative. The funding decisions will be made monthly by the HIIT Steering Group, and the next deadlines are 25.10.2018 and 7.12.2018.
We organise regularly joint Aalto – University of Helsinki postdoc calls with the aim of getting the best possible talents in ICT to Finland. These calls (and the underlying process, involving setting up application forms, summaries and facilitating interviews) are offered as a service to the whole Helsinki ICT community, not just HIIT research programmes. In addition to the postdoc calls, we support identification of new potential candidates by providing funding for inviting them to visit Finland at any time (see the Open Support Call).
If you have an excellent candidate in mind that would fit one of the HIIT programmes, please check first the current calls. If no suitable call can be found at the moment, we can also consider hiring a postdoc directly: you can send a short message to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining which programme or programmes the candidate would strengthen and how, and inside the programme(s), which of the research groups would be the most natural home base for the postdoc. Please include the following data in your message as a single PDF file named “lastnameofthecandidate.pdf”:
- Motivation letter from the candidate including a tentative plan for the research work (1-5 pages) in one of the HIIT programmes, and a suggestion for the funding period (and whether other funding sources would be available to support the candidate during part of the period)
- List of publications
- A transcript of the doctoral studies and degree certificate of the PhD degree
Note that you cannot apply for funding for yourself (for opening a postdoc call), this funding is for a specific postdoc that you think is so excellent that he or she should be recruited in one of the two hosting universities.
The funding decisions are made by the HIIT Steering Group, which meets once per month. Please send your proposal at least one week in advance to give the programme directors some time to study it before the meeting. The next deadlines are 25.10.2018 and 7.12.2018.
In 2018, the following postdocs have been supported by HIIT:
- Salvatore Andolina (supervised by Giulio Jacucci at Aalto)
- Markku Antikainen (supervised by Valtteri Niemi at Aalto)
- Jagmohan Chauhan (supervised by Tuomas Aura at Aalto)
- Esther Galbrun (supervised by Indrė Žliobaitė at UH)
- Enrico Glerean (supervised by Jari Saramäki at Aalto)
- Miika Nikula (supervised by Samuel Kaski at Aalto)
- Otto Pulkkinen (supervised by Ville Mustonen at UH)
- Santeri Puranen (supervised by Jukka Corander at UH)
- Tuukka Ruotsalo (supervised by Giulio Jacucci at UH)
We are supporting recruitment of new doctoral students candidates via the joint calls organised twice a year by HICT, the Helsinki Doctoral Education Network in ICT. HICT also supports various cross-department and cross-university events for students, and organises additional training for students willing to enhance for example their pitching and presentation skills.
HIIT Programme funding
Funding from the HIIT programmes for e.g. travel and other small expenses can be requested using a web form. The funding needs to be used within the running calendar year, and the decision is made by the relevant HIIT programme director. If your request would also fit in the categories of the Open Support Call, please submit just one application. The HIIT programme directors see all the applications and can choose the most appropriate budget to use.
The current HIIT research programmes are described here. In case you are wondering whether you are a member of any of HIIT’s programmes, this how it goes:
- The “old” programmes AR, COIN, FCHealth and HAIC are based on CoE applications, and the groups belonging to these programmes are listed on the individual programme pages found via the link above.
- The new programmes FCAI and HiDATA are more open-ended: if you feel that you are supporting their research agenda, you can consider yourself as a member of these programmes. However, the success of your funding request may depend on how relevant the programme director considers it regarding the mission of the programme.
HIIT Bridge funding in Autumn 2018
In Autumn 2018, “bridge funding” is available to cover gaps between projects. This funding can be used for salaries of research assistants, PhD students and postdocs whose work supports the ongoing HIIT research programmes. This bridge funding needs to be spent in its entirety during 2018.
In order to apply, please send the following information to email@example.com:
- The person to be funded and why the funding is needed. Include a CV (or a link to similar content) and a short description of the work the person would be doing during the employment (and explain what happens after the bridge funding). A specific person has to be named and the funds can’t be transferred to another person without a separate decision.
- The employment period to be funded. Please specify the exact dates and note that the period can start at the earliest on 1.8.2018 and end at the latest on 31.12.2018. In exceptional cases we may consider funding periods that span over the calendar year, but this call is for short-term, temporary bridge funding.
- The monthly salary of the person (without side costs).
Advertising your research
Publishing Highlights and other content on this website is an important way of presenting our work to a bigger audience. Please contribute! This website has been renewed recently and is now hosted by an external company. Making updates requires a separate user account, so please send your contribution to firstname.lastname@example.org, who will take care of publishing the text. Please include a picture (or pictures or videos)! We can also help you in preparing a press release.
Please use the new logos and templates, for instance in your HIIT presentations.
Publishing websites in HIIT’s domain
Websites of e.g. research projects and conferences can be published in HIIT’s domain. There are a number of options depending on what you need and what kind of tools you wish to use. Please contact email@example.com for details.
HIIT has a group account in ShareLaTeX, which enables collaborative editing of LaTeX documents in the web browser. ShareLaTeX has recently joined forces with Overleaf, and their systems are being merged together. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in using this kind of a tool.